Friday, July 15, 2011

Delightful Retelling of a Chinese Folktale


Wang wants to be a rich man, but as the son of a poor farmer what chance does he have? The Eternals know magic. Wang believes that if he can learn magic, he can become rich and powerful. The story traces Wang through his adventures: finding the temple of the Eternals, becoming an apprentice, and after a year, feeling the work is too hard for his objective of becoming rich. The climax of the story puts these elements together to show how Wang develops and his heart finally shows it's goodness.


I enjoyed the tale. The characters and setting draw you in. I particularly liked the illustration of the dragon on the cover. The writing is clear. Children should have no trouble reading the story for themselves. The author provides activity suggestions and questions for use in a group situation. I also enjoyed the historical appendix that discusses the Ming dynasty and how the Chinese lived in that era.


I highly recommend this book. It makes an excellent selection for group discussion.


Author Bio: Karen Cioffi is an author, ghostwriter, and freelance writer. For writing and marketing information visit http://karencioffiwritingandmarketing.com/

and sign up for her free newsletter, A Writer’s World. To find out where you can get a copy of Walking Through Walls click on the link:http://walkingthroughwalls-kcioffi.blogspot.com


Karen Cioffi is an author and ghostwriter. Her new MG/YA fantasy book, Walking Through Walls, is based on an ancient Chinese tale.

The book will be available through online retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, and book stores by July 15th.

You can preorder it through Walking Through Walls today at:

http://4rvpublishingcatalog.yolasite.com/mg-ya-page-2.php

To learn more about Walking Through Walls check out some reviews:
http://walkingthroughwalls-kcioffi.blogspot.com/p/walking-through-walls-reviews.html

To find out more about Karen and her books visit:
http://www.karencioffiwritingandmarketing.com/p/karens-books.html

If you have any questions, please ask.

25 comments:

  1. Nancy, Thank you so much for the wonderful review of Walking Through Walls and for being a part of my book tour! It's appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh indeed, what a delightful story "Walking through the Walls" is. I just finished reading it last night.
    Huge congrats to Karen for a well written story.

    Nicole Weaver
    Trilingual Children's Author
    http://mysisterismybestfriend.blogspot.com
    http://marieandherfriendtheseaturtle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Nancy. Great book Karen. Good luck on the rest of your tour.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome. Karen. I'm so pleased to have you as a guest today. I loved the book. Hope you have a huge success!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I hear about this story the more I know I have to pick up a copy. Sounds just delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The availability of the book was slowed a bit by a problem at the printers, but it should be "out" by next week.

    Vivian

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have this one in my TBR pile. It's not my usual type of read, so I'm excited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sometimes I like MG/YA books as much or more than adult fiction. Am betting this is the case with Walking Through Walls. ";o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicole, Thanks so much. I'm so glad you like the book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Karen, I have been writing stories to go into an anthology of legends and fairy tales for children. I've been at it for ages. Sort of collect them as I travel. Though not intensely enough to get it done. You have inspired me.

    Thanks, Nancy, for bring us this review!

    Best,
    Best,
    Carolyn Howard-Johnson
    Blogging writers resources at Writer's Digest 101 Best Websites pick www.sharingwithwriters

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your tour is doing great, Karen.

    I'm glad you like my cover, Nancy. That was my first Eastern Dragon.

    If anybody would like to see the trailer I made for it, here's the link:

    http://youtu.be/90aJO5qHHWc

    Aidana WillowRaven

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great rundown on your book, Karen.
    It's an excellent read and very kid friendly.

    Margot’s Magic Carpet
    Books With a WOW Factor
    http://perfectmagiccarpet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was a wonderful story. I read it and critiqued it a few weeks ago. Congrats Karen. I hope you have much success with your book.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the cover! And I love that it's a retelling of a classic tale. I will have to look for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, boy I'm losing it. I thought I stopped here and responded to all these wonderful comments. Oh well.

    Nicole, thank you so much for your kind words and for stopping by. I'm so glad you like the book.

    Renee, thank you for your kind wishes and thanks for stopping by.

    V.R. If you do get the book I hope you like it! Thanks for following along.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vivian, Just my luck!

    Cherly, Thanks so much for adding Walking Through Walls to your TBR! And, thanks for stopping by.

    Beth, I loved the message and flavor of the outline I had of the original tale, I hope if you get the book you like it! Thanks for following along!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Carolyn, That's a wonderful idea, having an anthology of folktales you've collected from around the world. I'd love to read it! Thanks so much for following along.

    Aidana, you'd never know that was your first! I have to remember to include the link to the trailer in my first comment for each tour.
    Walking Through Walls Trailer

    Margot, thanks so much for your kind words. And, thanks so much for following along!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Marge, Thank you for your wonderful review of Walking Through Walls. And, thank you for stopping by!

    Kate, Thanks for stopping by. If you're interested, you can preorder the book through 4RV:

    4RV Publishing Catalog

    ReplyDelete
  19. Karen, your book sounds very interesting. I am another who loves folk tales.
    Aidana, the cover is beautiful and the trailer is very oriental-sounding with that great background music.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Karen, thanks for being with me on your tour! Thanks to everyone who visited. It was great fun!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Very nice review, Nancy. This book is on my TBR list. The cover is intriguing.

    Congratulations, Karen. Best of luck on your tour.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Barbara, Thanks so much! Yes, Aidana did an amazing job with the cover, interior illos, and the trailer. She really nailed the oriental flavor of the book.

    Beverly, Thank you. If you get it I hope you enjoy it! And, thank you for your kind wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nancy, thank you again. We had a great turnout!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My 10 year old son enjoyed this story too and found the illustrations to be very eye pleasing. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'll tell my 10 yo that his invaluable advise on Mom's drawings were right on the money ... lol.

    Thanks!

    I'm glad the illos and cover have been so well received. :D

    Aidana WillowRaven
    http://WillowRaven.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete