Monday, December 21, 2009

Excellent Short Biography of Alfred the Great


Benjamin Merkle makes Alfred the Great come alive. I knew very little about the “White Horse King” before reading this biography. Although, I'm not a fan of the retelling of ancient battles, these were interesting and led to the proposition that Alfred was more than a warrior. I didn't realize until I read this book how wide spread the Viking incursions into England were and the part Alfred played in keeping the Saxon heritage safe.


I found the description of Alfred's innovations in learning and in the defense of his country very interesting reading. Clearly what Alfred was able to do and the success he achieved say that his innovations were extremely important. Apparently we are the beneficiaries of these practices today.


I was particularly fascinated by his conversion of Guthrum. While it may seem incredible, it appears that Guthrum did indeed embrace Christianity and become an ally of Alfred. It's an excellent example of how we should treat our enemies. I found the devote part of Alfred's character the most interesting in someone living in that time period. It must have been a great temptation to deliver the fatal blow and be done with it, rather than wondering whether Guthrum would be true to his pledges.


Altogether an excellent read about a time in history that I, for one, little understood.

2 comments:

  1. I just created a custom ringtone and it is on my computer under my "iTunes" application. I do not have an iphone, but a regular Kyocera cell phone. How do I upload the ringtone to this cell phone?
    [url=http://unlockiphone22.com]unlock iphone[/url] [url=http://tanya-pks.site50.net/index.php?topic=2742.new#new]unlock iphone[/url]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

    ReplyDelete